Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Weekly Dose of Fat – Show Number 110 for Friday, September 23th, 2016
Fatbassador, Travis, found some sea ice in Barrow, AK!
Join us this week for our fabulous Interbike edition #1 of the Weekly Dose of Fat with Gomez calling in from Las Vegas and Tim Krueger talking a bunch of fat-bike and plus bike news.
Thanks to Surly for sponsoring our show! Surly makes bikes and parts that don’t suck. Learn more at http://surlybikes.com.
On this week’s show:
- We’ll talk to Wisconsin BikeFed’s Dave Schlabowske about Chris’ Slow Roll to Celebrate bike industry veteran Chris Kegel.
- Our Special Guest is Gomez as he calls in from Las Vegas with news from the Interbike Outdoor Dirt Demo in Boulder City plus a peek at what was happening on the Show Floor.
- We talk beards and beer
- We discuss the ten best essentials to keep in your frame pack
- We share Links from the internet
The Somber Event of the Week
Folks, sometimes we get some news we’d rather not get. Chris’ Slow Roll is a ride to celebrate the life of Chris Kegel, a bike industry legend, who was recently diagnosed with a rare and fast-paced form of cancer that originates in the bile ducts and affects liver function. Chris’ Slow Roll is happening this Sunday, September 25th in Milwaukee.
This week’s beer, Founders Mosaic Promise, rates a solid 91 on Beer Advocate and Carries a 5.5% ABV along with 50 IBUs
This week’s Beards and Beer was sponsored by Uncle Dicks Bead Slip. http://uncledicksbikeshop.com.
Special Guest – Gomez!
Special Segment – The 10 most important things we carry in our frame bags.
- Tool pencil bag
- Kryptonite chain lock
- Bluetooth speaker, usually a Boombotix of some sort
- Sock set
- Sweat rag
- Bottle opener
- Charging materials
- Camera – gots to capture the moment.
- Tool kit with Multi-tool, Power Links, Valve stem tool
- A tube or two, of course
- Pump, Patch Kit in case there are multiple flats
- Bordo Lite Lock for quick hitch ups
- Lighting –
- A Koozy and something to keep it properly expanded
- A shell or packable down coat depending on the time of year.
- Battery to charge lights, phones, Boombotix, etc. and associated cord
- Perhaps a small glass object and flame
Tupper has a list!
How many tire sizes do we need?
Flow Convertible Kid’s Fat-bike.
Daytrip to the Central Belt
Lost Coast Dreaming
Hard to Fathom Tour in 4 Parts
Ride to Seacliff
Fat-biking in Dubai Desert
And now for something completely different…The Tall Fat-bike
Plus Bike Links
Hutchinson’s tubeless-ready Koloss 27.5-plus tire will be available in two tread patterns in a 2.8-inch width. http://www.bicycleretailer.com/new-products/2016/09/20/hutchinson-introduces-first-gravel-and-275-plus-tires#.V-KTnaOZNE4
Our show this evening has been brought to you by the Bikes, Parts & Chaos of Surly Bikes – Learn more at http://surlybikes.com
Join us next time for the Weekly Dose of Fat where we will wrap up our coverage of all things Plus and Fat from the Show Floor at Interbike!
Prayers goin out to Chris, let us all pray for him at this time.
Best wishes your way, Chris!!
Sorry to hear about Chris…Prayers from across the lake in Wales are being said for him.
Bad times 🙁